Re: Documentation gap: Perl interfaces

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Documentation gap: Perl interfaces
Date: 2001-11-27 14:36:50
Lists: pgsql-docs

Thomas Lockhart writes:

> > It's not our job to tell people what the wide world of database
> > programming has to offer. We control neither Perl nor the DBD:Pg driver,
> > so if we start bothering with that then there is no theoretical boundary
> > -- what about all the other Python, Scheme, Emacs Lisp, Ruby, or
> > language-of-the-day interfaces?
>
> We should mention that they exist, and give pointers on where to find
> them and what is involved in installing them (maybe even some shortcut
> instructions).

We've been there, and it all that information became outdated pretty soon.
In fact we've just removed all not-included-here documentation in this
release. There are literally thousands of packages interfacing with
PostgreSQL, and I don't see how we're going to manage to put these into
the documentation. People that are looking for software can go to
freshmeat or the PG web site (a.k.a. elephantmeat) or other such places.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net