Re: JDBC inserts on views using rules

From: Stuart Robinson <stuart(at)zapata(dot)org>
To: Barry Lind <barry(at)xythos(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: JDBC inserts on views using rules
Date: 2001-11-13 02:52:23
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Sorry, I'm afraid that switching methods won't solve my problem, because
the point is that the application is trying to do an insert and therefore
must use the executeUpdate method. But I want the database to be smart
enough to intercept the insert and call my function instead, but since the
only way to call a function is w/ select, a value will be returned, making
executeUpdate inappropriate.

It sounds like it's just not possible to have a rule that intercepts
insert on a view and calls a function instead, given the current state of
PostgreSQL. At any rate, it's not really a JDBC problem, so I'll quit
harassing the JDBC mailing list.

Thanks.

-Stuart