Re: consistent naming of components

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Robert Dyas <rdyas(at)adelphia(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: consistent naming of components
Date: 2001-10-28 12:31:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Dyas writes:

> One possible renaming / reorganization: (feedback encouraged!!!)
>
> change default account name postgres to pgsql

It's a little known secret, but there is no default account name!
"postgres" is simply what most people seem to choose (but by no means
all). The documentation might refer to "postgres" as well, but that's
just to align with common usage.

> change daemon name postmaster to pgsqld

Most people don't start the postmaster directly anyway, so I don't see
this as an improvement.

> change client name psql to pgsql

There are more clients than just psql. What's PgAccess' name going to be.
psql is just the name of the program and it's hardwired into people's
fingers.

> change data location /var/lib/pgsql/data to /var/pgsql

There is no default data location either. The /var/lib location is
probably what the FHS folks dreamt up, but other platforms don't use it.

> move .conf files from /var/lib/pgsql/data to /etc/pgsql

As there is no default data location, these are just two arbitrary
locations.

> change all PG_xxx file names (PG_VERSION, /usr/bin/pg_xxx, etc) to pgsql_xxx

More typing, longer file names, not pretty.

> change all postgresql* file names to pgsql*

The package is called PostgreSQL, so if anything, the change should be
pgsql => postgresql.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter