Re: REQ: build src/backend/postgres w/o -lncurses or -lreadline

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, <todd(at)tekinteractive(dot)com>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: REQ: build src/backend/postgres w/o -lncurses or -lreadline
Date: 2001-05-16 15:39:09
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Tom Lane writes:

> Autoconf has a bad habit of putting all libraries that it's asked to
> check for into a single LIBS list, which makes it quite painful to avoid
> linking all those libs to *every* binary built by the distribution.

PostgreSQL, on the other hand, has the bad habit of using a single
configure script to configure rather separate binaries. ;-)

> I don't see much value in fixing this just for libreadline (and even
> less in fixing it by disabling readline support entirely). I think I
> recall Peter E. having mentioned that there'd be a better answer in
> autoconf 2.50 ... so I'm inclined not to touch the problem until that
> comes out.

I don't see how autoconf 2.50 ("any day now") would change anything here.
We could make up new variables like READLINE_LIBS, but where do we stop?
I don't have a good answer.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter