Re: REQ: build src/backend/postgres w/o -lncurses or -lreadline

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: todd(at)tekinteractive(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: REQ: build src/backend/postgres w/o -lncurses or -lreadline
Date: 2001-05-15 02:43:12
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> It is my understanding that having them there causes no bloat in the
> binary. No symbols are resolved in those libs.
>>
>> Perhaps not, but the postgres binary then becomes dependent on those
>> libs being available (if they're shared).

> Good point.

Autoconf has a bad habit of putting all libraries that it's asked to
check for into a single LIBS list, which makes it quite painful to avoid
linking all those libs to *every* binary built by the distribution.

I don't see much value in fixing this just for libreadline (and even
less in fixing it by disabling readline support entirely). I think I
recall Peter E. having mentioned that there'd be a better answer in
autoconf 2.50 ... so I'm inclined not to touch the problem until that
comes out.