List metadata tags (was Re: Auto Increment)

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Postgres Users <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: List metadata tags (was Re: Auto Increment)
Date: 2000-12-27 11:16:26
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane writes:

> At one time Marc was arranging for the list bot to append automatic
> tags to all postings. I'd be in favor of an automatic tag that read
> something like
>
> list administrivia: majordomo(at)hub(dot)org
> Postgres FAQs: http://...
>
> Suggestions anyone? (Keep in mind that brevity is the soul of wit
> here...)

RFC 2369 <http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2369.html>

This essentially says that you add headers like this to every mail:

(There's isn't anything for FAQ, but there could be a link on the archive
page maybe.)

If a mail with these headers shows up in my mail client I get a link "This
message contains email list management information." that I can click on
and which in turn explains to me what an email list is and then allows me
to click on the URLs above. Very nice.