Re: Interactive Documentation - how do you want it towork?

From: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Ronald Chmara <ron(at)Opus1(dot)COM>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Interactive Documentation - how do you want it towork?
Date: 2003-02-04 12:10:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

When I first saw this thread I thought of the PHP docs which I recently started
using, from a level of knowing absolutely nothing of PHP.

Sure there was some useful stuff in some of the comments but some of the pages
were very long, far more comment than manual page. A lot of the comments refer
to far earlier versions, if the reader is lucky the version addressed by a
comment is included in the comment. Also, even as a complete newbie I was able
to find errors in the comments. The upshot is that the PHP docs have a lot of
old information in them, it's guess work as to what version of PHP the comment
refers to and there are a lot of comments to read to find out this uncertain
mixture of applicable/not applicable error prone comments.[*]

On the whole, I tended stop reading the comments and looked just at the manual
page and experiment myself instead.

[*] Error prone to a large extent in the examples/techniques listed as how to
do things, the email address regexp example shown as the way that started a
whole string of followups springs to mind. However, I also found some
useful/interesting information/techniques I hadn't thought of before amongst
the stuff.

--
Nigel Andrews