Re: ODBC problem

From: Cedar Cox <cedarc(at)visionforisrael(dot)com>
To: "George P(dot) Esperanza" <george(at)calamba(dot)laguna(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ODBC problem
Date: 2000-10-07 14:31:04
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> By the way, my Postgres server is configured to "crypt" authentication
> type.

That's the reason... My understanding is that there is no libcrypt for
win32 so the windows ODBC driver doesn't support crypt passwords. Allow
passwords in the clear (change 'crypt' to 'password' in pg_hba.conf) and
it should work fine. Of course this could be a security hole so be
careful what you do. Be sure to limit the IPs that are allowed to
connect.

Alternatively, you could do something I've thought about but never done
myself.. set up a ssh tunnel from the client to the server. I think this
can be done. Even if the ODBC driver did support crypt passwords, the sql
queries and responses could be picked up just as easily so there wouldn't
really be much of a security gain. If you're in an environment where
non-crypt passwords are a security risk, then ssh (or some other
encryption) is probably the way to go. Thoughts??

-Cedar