Re: Auto Increment

From: <postgres(at)flipper(dot)webdevelop(dot)net>
To: "Brett W(dot) McCoy" <bmccoy(at)chapelperilous(dot)net>
Cc: Postgres Users <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Auto Increment
Date: 2000-12-28 01:09:41
Lists: pgsql-general

I had looked everywhere to find the answer to this question. Now that I
look at the FAQ again I see it in there. I tryed searching the FAQ for
"auto increment" when it turns out to be "auto-increment" on the FAQs
page. Being a MySQL user who was dead ended and had no choice but to find
a new database with Transactions or something simliar because of MySQL's
limitations I had several questions that seemed difficult to find during
the switchover.

1. Auto increment - now serial datatype

2. 'SHOW TABLES' in mysql - now '\d' (I got lucky to stumble apon this.)

3. 'DESCRIBE' in mysql - now '\d tablename' (same as above.)

As more people realize MySQL's limitations I think there will be more
people making the switchover. As a result I'm sure many people find
themselves asking the same questions I did. I would recommend these 3
things be easy to find the the FAQ for MySQL familiar users.

My 2 cents...