Re: Postgresql usage clip.

From: "Brett W(dot) McCoy" <bmccoy(at)chapelperilous(dot)net>
To: Ron Chmara <ron(at)Opus1(dot)COM>
Cc: Lincoln Yeoh <lylyeoh(at)mecomb(dot)com>, Erich <hh(at)cyberpass(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql usage clip.
Date: 2000-05-30 02:59:42
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 29 May 2000, Ron Chmara wrote:

> This has "fire" written all over it....
>
> But as somebody who uses both, in large scale (er.. global) enterprise
> level data management, each has it's place. MySQL has much faster
> simple table scans, but it cannot handle the complex structures that
> Pgsql can. Pgsql has scads of additional features, but is limited
> in platform support compared to mysql.

MySQL is great for small websites with small budgets with read-only data
or data that doesn't change often. It doesn't scale very well at all, and
for larger sites it really falls apart without anyy referential integrity
or supprto for views. But beyond that, you really need something bigger
like Postgres (for a big site with a small budget) or Oracle (for a huge
site with a huger budget).

Brett W. McCoy
http://www.chapelperilous.net
"The Lord gave us farmers two strong hands so we could grab as much as
we could with both of them."
-- Joseph Heller, "Catch-22"