Re: PostgreSQL (fwd)

From: <kaiq(at)realtyideas(dot)com>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Adien(dot)Reynald(dot)Suresh(dot)Lopez" <ca9alo(at)isis(dot)sunderland(dot)ac(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL (fwd)
Date: 2000-04-13 17:52:48
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Apr 2000 kaiq(at)realtyideas(dot)com wrote:
>

> > perhaps you'd better first find an evaluation copy of informix, seems that
> > they have more systematic and well-thought feature set.
> >
> > there are some historical relations between informix (esp. Object
> > relational features) -- share the same original source code!
> >
> > my understanding is that more recent pg focus is to make it as a
> > strong mission critical (i.e. "real", "industrial") relational
> > db. so, the OO or OR features -- esp. "advanced" ones -- are kind
> > of putting aside. so, that is why I suggest you take a look on informix
> > first.
>
> this is a totally uninformed and inaccurate assessment ... the current
> state of OO/OR features in PgSQL has been sitting pretty much on one
> persons shoulders ... v7.0 has some extensions/fixes added in this arena,
> and we would very much welcome anyone that wishes to work with us towards
> further improvements on this ...

it's not fair! It is understandable that you love PG, but it does not
mean you can be blindly doing that!

it is a plain fact that OR/OO features are not the focus in recent years,
and some of them are broken or not work right, no mention of
documentations.
And, informix is certainly a better product in that regards! -- and I also
emphasized the crucial advantage of PG that it is open source and people
esp. master degree candidate can contribute and leave a good trail.

-- Please tell me, why and where is this info is uninformed?!