Re: [GENERAL] Postgresql / Threads / Scalability

From: <kaiq(at)realtyideas(dot)com>
To: Timothy Glover <sion(at)greenbank(dot)net(dot)au>
Cc: Postgres <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Postgresql / Threads / Scalability
Date: 2000-03-06 19:48:05
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, 5 Mar 2000, Timothy Glover wrote:

> Hi,
> Im very new to this list please excuse me if ive posted to the wrong place.
> I was just wondering if postgresql has support for SMP/threads ?
> I was also wondering how scalable it is ?
>
> At work we are considering whether to switch to oracle or continue with
> postgresql.
> We currently use postgresql, with no problems and excellent response time
> (with data mining).
> But we are wondering what happens when the database gets huge.
> Currently its run on a p3/300 with 198 megs of ram, and it services 80
> hospital locations.
>
> Im considering a larger p3, with alot more ram and with a raid array, or
> maybe something like a SunE450 to run it.
datamining! I'm considering doing it. could you please tell us more about
it? It's said that mysql is good for this (fast, for datamining,
transaction is not a issue), why you do not use it? why not m$sql (simply
you are a linux shop?).
also, do you use star schema? how do you do the index?

thanks in advance!