Re: [INTERFACES] Re: [sql] mysql vs. postgresql

From: Ole Gjerde <gjerde(at)icebox(dot)org>
To: "Christopher R(dot) Jones" <cj(at)interlog(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Re: [sql] mysql vs. postgresql
Date: 1999-05-16 05:50:45
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Fri, 14 May 1999, Christopher R. Jones wrote:
> It really depends on the platform and interface you will be using. I am
> just finishing a WEB application developed in NT and transfered to Unix. I
> used HTML and Perl for displaying the data. I could not find a perl module
> for postgresql for NT. With MySQL, the Perl CGI scripts transfered
> directly from NT to Linux and Solaris.

If you are using perl, you should be using DBI. DBI has database drivers
for most popular databases, including postgresql and mysql.
It's a database independent module. With DBI you can switch database and
not have to modify your code(assuming the SQL is supported on both).
http://www.symbolstone.org/technology/perl/DBI/index.html

For NT, you could use the DBD-ODBC(driver for DBI) with postgres' odbc
driver.

> You will also find the support from MySQL excellent. There is a large,
> knowledgeable user base.

I think postgres' userbase is both big and knowledgeable, and the
developers are very helpful as well.

Both databases have their good points. It's the same with everything,
choose the right tool for the job. MySQL for light jobs(or not so light)
where reliability is not so much a consern and postgres where reliability
is paramount, while speed isn't.

Ole Gjerde