Re: [INTERFACES] Problems using, IE5 MS-VM and JDBC driver

From: Peter T Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Georg Ritter <Georg(dot)Ritter(at)uibk(dot)ac(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Problems using, IE5 MS-VM and JDBC driver
Date: 1999-06-26 11:02:51
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, Georg Ritter wrote:

[catching up with emails here]

> Hello,
>

> I wrote a little Java applet which uses jdbc to connect to a
> pg installed on a linux box.
>
> It works with Nectscape 4.5/6 but when I try to start
> the applet with IE5 ( JIT on and off ) I get the SQLException
> "No suitable driver found", thrown by the first try block (see
> program code below).

> The driver is situated in a subdir of the applet: ..../applet/postgres/
> ( single .class files, structure as in the postgres dist. )

That should work (as it's the last resort)

> I used jdk1.2 port for linux for compiling the driver.

Ah, this may be a problem, as IE may not exactly be 1.2 compatible (I'm
not sure here).

> The code I use to load the driver:

> String url = "jdbc:postgresql://a.b.c:5000/mydb?" +
> "user=thename?password=thepasswd&auth=password";

Drop the ? and the parameters, as you are supplying them in the
getConnection() method.

Also auth has not been implemented since 6.3 (when the new protocol came
into force), so it's wasting space here. Since 6.3, the protocol
determines the authentication scheme before the driver sends the user &
password.

--
Peter T Mount peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk
Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk