Re: [INTERFACES] ARC/Info and Intergraph

From: Peter T Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: "Collin F(dot) Lynch" <clynch(at)water2(dot)cs(dot)umass(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] ARC/Info and Intergraph
Date: 1999-06-26 10:41:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Collin F. Lynch wrote:

> Greetings.
> Allthough we are not working on it immediatelyt, I am looking
> for a way to connect Postgres to Arc/info Intergraph and other GIS
> systems. Has anyone done any work in this area or can point me to the
> proper links?

I tried a few weeks ago to get MapInfo to connect to PostgreSQL using the
ODBC driver. The problem is that MapInfo sends all column names in double
quotes, but doesn't quote them in the WHERE clauses. Because PostgreSQL
only keeps the column name cases when quotes are used, and MapInfo sends
everything in uppercase, it treats them as different, so it fails.

I hadn't had chance to look at this since, although it would be useful for
work.

I don't know about Arc/info, but at some point I'm going to take a look at
Grass.

Peter

--
Peter T Mount peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk
Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk