Re: [GENERAL] Access database from PostgreSQL?

From: Peter T Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Randy Dees <rrd(at)amherst(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Access database from PostgreSQL?
Date: 1999-01-19 21:16:50
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, Randy Dees wrote:

> I have just read the wonderful concise directions for accessing a PostgreSQL
> database from MS Access, and just wondered: does anyone have a procedure for
> accessing the Access database from Postgres? I'm not likely to get the MS
> group here to relinquish control of that database so that I can put it in
> Postgres native, but I'd really like to use their data in our own databases.

PostgreSQL doesn't have the ability to access tables outside of a
database.

Now there's two approaches you could use to get around this:

1: Have your client connect to both the PostgreSQL and Access database
(not that good an idea).

2: Write a small app that occasionally extracts a copy of the required
tables from the Access database, and import it into the PostgreSQL
database. How often you need to do this, depends on what the tables
contain, and how often they are updated.

I've used the latter method in the past, and it works well for some types
of data, but not always.

--
Peter T Mount peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk
Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk