Re: [INTERFACES] crypt not included when compiling libpgtcl !!!!!!!

From: Eric Lee Green <eric(at)linux-hw(dot)com>
To: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: Constantin Teodorescu <teo(at)flex(dot)ro>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] crypt not included when compiling libpgtcl !!!!!!!
Date: 1998-12-07 05:33:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

On Sun, 6 Dec 1998, Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:
> > (I am currently packaging 6.4 into an RPM for Red Hat 5.2).
>
> Is this an alternative to the RedHat packaging, or are you using the
> same layout and RPM setup that the RedHat 6.3 package had? Just curious;

I am using the same layout and RPM setup that the Red Hat 6.3 package
had, but I had to make a fair number of changes to their setup to make
6.4 work. I think I probably ended up changing about 1/3rd of the
"action" portions of their .spec file, and the patch file I used to
make it install and link cleanly was generated from scratch. I am not
doing this for Red Hat Software, I am doing it because I need to
deploy 6.4 and doing it via RPM is the easiest way to deploy on Red
Hat. And perhaps more importantly, I'm doing it because it's there
:-).

> I've been thinking about trying to help with RPM support but would be
> happy that someone else is looking after it.

Well, if you have some suggestions I'm certainly not loathe to ignore them!
Right now, the only suggestion I can think of that I'd like to implement
would be to somehow figure out how to compile the Python module at the same
time that I compile the rest of it, but I'm not sure that Python is capable
yet of doing that Perl trick of compiling a module against the Perl .so
link library without having the source code around. I'll have to check
with the Python gurus on that one.

> Actually, we should also test with RH5.2 to make sure the date/time
> problem is still present, since it may have been due to a problem in
> glibc2 which has since been fixed. I'm only running RH4.2 and RH5.1 so
> can't directly test that myself...

Well, RH5.2 is still using glibc 2.0.7, albeit patched up about 10
more times since RH 5.1 :-). But sure, if you have a test case to run,
drop it in the mail to me and I'll be happy to run it.

One thought: Do you have a TZ environment variable set on your RH5.1?
I don't remember whether glibc needs one or not (I know there were other
programs sensitive to the TZ environment variable under RH5.1, like BRU,
but it is 12:30am here on the east coast and my mind is not as clear as
it should be :-).

--
Eric Lee Green eric(at)linux-hw(dot)com http://www.linux-hw.com/~eric
"Linux represents a best-of-breed UNIX, that is trusted in mission