Re: [INTERFACES] crypt not included when compiling libpgtcl !!!!!!!

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Eric Lee Green <eric(at)linux-hw(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] crypt not included when compiling libpgtcl !!!!!!!
Date: 1998-12-07 05:54:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

Eric Lee Green <eric(at)linux-hw(dot)com> writes:
> I have to maintain a stable Postgres on my development machine. The reason
> I'm working on the 6.4 RPM for Red Hat 5.2 is for deployment purposes, not
> for testing purposes, though of course I'll test it before deploying it.
> (I want the latest stable version possible for deployment, because once
> deployed, it will be out there for a LONG time).

Fair enough. I have not been around Postgres very long and may be out
of line to make this remark, but here goes anyway: as far as I've seen,
the minor releases (6.3.2, 6.4.1, etc) are likely to be your best bet
for a solid install-and-forget version. Major releases are for feature
additions, minor releases are made to clean up whatever got broken.
We do the best we can to test major releases before they go out, but
things do slip through the cracks sometimes.

In short, unless you need something in the next few days, the upcoming
6.4.1 release is likely to be a better bet for an RPM distribution
than 6.4.

Perhaps one of the senior Postgres guys would like to expound on the
release philosophy? The above is just what I've observed, it may
not be the official policy...