Re: ODBC Stuff

From: Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop(at)h00a0cc3b7988(dot)ne(dot)mediaone(dot)net>
To: "Roderick A(dot) Anderson" <raanders(at)altoplanos(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL:"(at)debisschop(dot)net:General List" <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ODBC Stuff
Date: 2000-04-27 19:23:35
Lists: pgsql-general

"Roderick A. Anderson" wrote:

> Sorry to ask this as I'm sure it's passed throught here but I'm also sure
> I just looked at the messages briefly and then deleted them becuase I
> didn't think I'd ever need the information.
>
> I'm working on a program that will run on a MS Windows platform and I
> want it to use a database (PostreSQL) on a Linux box. From the research
> I've been doing I get the impression that ODBC is the preferred, if not
> the only, method to do this. So I'm hoping someone can point me at some
> simple steps (they don't have to be too detailed) on getting a MS Windows
> application to talk to a PostgreSQL database across a network.
>
> I've made a couple of passes over the unixODBC site and came away with
> a much better understanding but just gave up on the MS (ODBC) site since
> it looked like more of an advertisement than an information site.
>
> The application is being written in perl (ActiveState) and compiled
> with perl2exe to make the installation impact (not a full perl
> installation) on the Windows systems a little lighter.

I don't venture into the windows world, but can I assume that DBI/DBD doesn't
work in the perl install you describe?

If DBI/DBD works then you should be golden. Assuming that DBI/DBDdoes work,
then you should be able to connect over TCP/IP without any need for ODBC

Karl DeBisschop
www.infoplease.com