Re: [GENERAL] Accounting/inventory systems

From: Howie <caffeine(at)toodarkpark(dot)org>
To: freetips <freetips(at)softhome(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Accounting/inventory systems
Date: 1999-09-05 07:30:00
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, freetips wrote:

> Can we develop difficult accounting/inventory system and use PostgreSQL for
> server. We will use MsAccess for client.
> We have to choose between:
> MySQL PostgreSQL or another server .

an accounting system would greatly benefit from the use of foreign keys
and triggers, both of which mysql lacks. the 'big boys' ( oracle,
informix, sybase ) all support triggers and foreign keys, but they're also
just slightly more expensive than Postgres.

i wrote a billing system that was originally based in mysql, then moved to
postgresql. the db was just so much cleaner, i didnt have to worry about
manually performing trigger-equivalents, i could make extensive use of
foreign keys and _proper date handling_...

> Does some company use PostgreSQL for these purposes? My be there are some
> commercial realises of accounting/inventory programmes which use PostgreSQL ?
> Does somebody know some REALLY working accounting or inventory system on LAN
> (not via Internet)??? - where server is PostgreSQL .Because I have feeling that PostgreSQL
> is used only with regards to Internet.

erm, postgresql isnt just used on the internet, nor is it 'just used' via
the web. that would be like saying "Oracle is only used for e-commerce
sites."

a major project im working on includes basic inventory tracking abilities
and accounting capabilities ( part of it is a quoting system ). once its
completed, i hope to be able to sell it to management on a 'lesser' scale
- the full blown release will be on a Sun E3500 with Oracle & NeXT/Apple's
WebObjects platform, but we all know that not every company can afford
this. the 'lesser' scale model i proposed would be Linux and MacOS X
Server-based ( for the WebObjects portion ), running on either FrontBase
or PostgreSQL. (warning: shameless plug follows) since NeXT/Apple's tools
(the Enterprise Objects Framework (EOF)) make the underlying database
irrelevant, i'm fairly confident i'll be able to convince management.

---
Howie <caffeine(at)toodarkpark(dot)org> URL: http://www.toodarkpark.org
"The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success."