Re: [SQL] escaping the '

From: Eric McKeown <ericm(at)palaver(dot)net>
To: Andy Lewis <alewis(at)mpsi(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] escaping the '
Date: 1998-05-22 22:41:10
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Fri, 22 May 1998, Andy Lewis wrote:

> Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 09:00:35 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Andy Lewis <alewis(at)mpsi(dot)net>
> To: pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
> Subject: [SQL] escaping the '
>
> I am running Postgres 6.3.2 / PHP 3.0 on Linux 2.0.30.
>
> I have a table that has 16 text fields in it. I have a PHP form that allows a
> user to enter info into that field. When a user enters an ' as in " item's " the
> query will fail. I have played around with it and can execute the query without
> error if I escape the ' . Such as " item\'s "
>
> Here's the big question:
>
> Is there anyway other than doing a ereg_replace(); in PHP to get around this
> problem? If I do a ereg_replace("'", "\'", $f1) in the PHP file and execute it,
> I have no problem. I dont recall having this problem in the earlier version of
> Postgres.

If you're using a php3.ini file, check out the value of "magic_quotes_gpc"
in that file. If set to 1, that should escape such quotes automatically
when using GET or POST to send the contents of your form to a processing
script. If you're not using a php3.ini file (assuming you're running the
Apache module version), you can use the php3_magic_quotes_gpc directive in
*.conf or .htaccess. Run httpd -h for details on all the various php
directives available...

eric

> As always, thanks in advance!
>
> Andy