Re: Re[2]: changing datestyle

From: Thomas Good <tomg(at)q8(dot)nrnet(dot)org>
To: Jean-Christophe Boggio <cat(at)thefreecat(dot)org>
Cc: Bryan White <bryan(at)arcamax(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re[2]: changing datestyle
Date: 2000-10-31 17:46:46
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Jean-Christophe Boggio wrote:

> Bryan,

[ snip ... ]

> Do you think changing Postgres' code is more "elegant" than configuring
> your system(s) ?

JC,

I agree that conf is better than a rebuild in most cases...but:
In Bryan's defence, hacking globals.c *is* recommended in the man pages.
(Nonetheless, I added an explanation - and my patch - to my log files.
I think any DBA/SysAdmin who's been around awhile sees the value of
a good log/commented code...)

> That's NOT what I call "elegant" and, as a project manager, I would be
> quite angry with the person who messed like this.

You know one things does cause me to scratch my head: Pg does seem
to require new env vars fairly often.

I had about 4 or 5 set initially, then DBD wanted POSTGRES_INCLUDE
and POSTGRES_LIB. Now, with a default behaviour change, we need
PGDATESTYLE. One would think these guys at Pg are a band of merry
pranksters, eh? ;-)

Cheers,
Tom

SVCMC - Center for Behavioral Health
Thomas Good tomg@ { admin | q8 } .nrnet.org
IS Coordinator / DBA Phone: 718-354-5528
Fax: 718-354-5056