Re[2]: changing datestyle

From: Jean-Christophe Boggio <cat(at)thefreecat(dot)org>
To: "Bryan White" <bryan(at)arcamax(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re[2]: changing datestyle
Date: 2000-10-31 17:08:14
Lists: pgsql-novice

Bryan,

Ref : Tuesday, October 31, 2000 5:41:02 PM

>> I did a rebuild, after editing ./src/backend/utils/init/globals.c
>> to say: int DateStyle = USE_POSTGRES_DATES;
>>
>> It wasn't too tough to shutdown the server, do a make/make install
>> and restart but your solution is definitely more elegant.
>> I am going to hack my apache conf files on the other machines here
>> running pg7.

BW> I did the same thing (changed globals.c). It seems more elegant because
BW> only one place had to change to affect the entire system across multiple
BW> servers, environments and programming languages.

Do you think changing Postgres' code is more "elegant" than configuring
your system(s) ?

What will happen when you upgrade Postgres :
* it won't work as expected
* if you have saved "somewhere" the changes you made to the source
code, you just re-apply the patches (if the location of defaults did not
change in POstgres' code)
* if not... :)
* when a new person comes to work on Postgres, he'll have to find out
what you changed, try to understand WHY you broke the code instead of
just do a little config, etc.

That's NOT what I call "elegant" and, as a project manager, I would be
quite angry with the person who messed like this.

--
Jean-Christophe Boggio
cat(at)thefreecat(dot)org