Re: [INTERFACES] Data types and binary data

From: Tom Good <tomg(at)nrnet(dot)org>
To: Matthew Hagerty <matthew(at)wolfepub(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Data types and binary data
Date: 1998-08-20 12:39:25
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, Matthew Hagerty wrote:

> Where can I find a *complete* list of postgresql data types? I have looked
> all over the web site and found what seems to be a partial list. I assume
> it to be partial because I see no reference to the text, name, filename,
> etc. types.

Hi.

output from \dT at the isql (psql) prompt...

type |description
---------+-------------------------------------------------------------
SET |set of tuples
abstime |absolute, limited-range date and time (Unix system time)
aclitem |access control list
bool |boolean 'true'/'false'
box |geometric box '(lower left,upper right)'
bpchar |blank-padded characters, length specifed when created
bytea |variable length array of bytes
char |single character
char16 |16 characters, fixed length
char2 |2 characters
char4 |4 characters
char8 |8 characters
cid |command identifier type, sequence in transaction id
circle |geometric circle '(center,radius)'
date |ANSI SQL date 'yyyy-mm-dd'
datetime |date and time 'yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss'
filename |filename used in system tables
float4 |single-precision floating point number, 4-byte
float8 |double-precision floating point number, 8-byte
int2 |two-byte integer, -32k to 32k
int28 |8 2-byte integers, used internally
int4 |4-byte integer, -2B to 2B
line |geometric line '(pt1,pt2)'
lseg |geometric line segment '(pt1,pt2)'
money |money '$d,ddd.cc'
name |31-character type for storing system identifiers
oid |object identifier type
oid8 |array of 8 oid, used in system tables
oidint2 |oid and int2 composed
oidint4 |oid and int4 composed
oidname |oid and name composed
path |geometric path '(pt1,...)'
point |geometric point '(x, y)'
polygon |geometric polygon '(pt1,...)'
regproc |registered procedure
reltime |relative, limited-range time interval (Unix delta time)
smgr |storage manager
text |native variable-length string
tid |tuple identifier type, physical location of tuple
time |ANSI SQL time 'hh:mm:ss'
timespan |time interval '@ <number> <units>'
timestamp|limited-range ISO-format date and time
tinterval|time interval '(abstime,abstime)'
unknown |
varchar |non-blank-padded-length string, length specified when created
xid |transaction id
(46 rows)

Cheers,
Tom

----------- Sisters of Charity Medical Center ----------
Department of Psychiatry
----
Thomas Good, System Administrator <tomg(at)q8(dot)nrnet(dot)org>
North Richmond CMHC/Residential Services Phone: 718-354-5528
75 Vanderbilt Ave, Quarters 8 Fax: 718-354-5056
Staten Island, NY 10304 www.panix.com/~ugd
----