Re: Table Partitioning in Postgres:

From: Jonathan Bartlett <johnnyb(at)eskimo(dot)com>
To: "Bodanapu, Sravan" <Sravan(dot)Bodanapu(at)NextelPartners(dot)com>
Cc: "'Curt Sampson'" <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>, "PGSQL General (E-mail)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Table Partitioning in Postgres:
Date: 2003-02-17 21:40:54
Lists: pgsql-general

> 1. When a table is created in postgres, it will always create the
> datafile in /pgdata/base/16975 or 16976 directory.
> What does 16975 and 16976 mean ? Is there a way that the
> datafile(for table/data/index) gets generated
> in different directories instead of one. If yes, how ?

The numbers are the object IDs, I believe. After a table has been
created, it can be moved anywhere on the hard drive while PostgreSQL is
stopped - just symlink the old location to the new one before starting
back up.

> 2. Is there a way to limit a datafile size ( say 3GB ) ? This is a
> concept in Ingres that you can span the data
> across different files.

Not that I know of

> 3. Please suggest us some tips for setting up a big database to acheive
> maximum performance ?

Choose your disk setup carefully. Put the transaction logs on a different
RAID set than your data. Keep indexes on a different RAID set than the
main tables.

You may even be able to do traditional partitioning using rewrite rules,
although I've never tried that.

Jon