Re: Table Partitioning in Postgres:

From: "Bodanapu, Sravan" <Sravan(dot)Bodanapu(at)NextelPartners(dot)com>
To: 'Curt Sampson' <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>
Cc: "PGSQL General (E-mail)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Table Partitioning in Postgres:
Date: 2003-02-17 20:42:04
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks Curt!!! The data was actually taken out of Oracle database and then
dumped into Postgres database
using bulk copy. Most of the tables were very large ( having around 20-30
million rows and around
200-300 columns in each ). In Oracle, these tables were partitioned into
chunks to get maximum performance.

1. When a table is created in postgres, it will always create the
datafile in /pgdata/base/16975 or 16976 directory.
What does 16975 and 16976 mean ? Is there a way that the
datafile(for table/data/index) gets generated
in different directories instead of one. If yes, how ?

2. Is there a way to limit a datafile size ( say 3GB ) ? This is a
concept in Ingres that you can span the data
across different files.

3. Please suggest us some tips for setting up a big database to acheive
maximum performance ?

Thanks and Regards,

- Sravan.