Re: logging SQL statements

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: c k <shreeseva(dot)learning(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: logging SQL statements
Date: 2008-10-09 20:40:54
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008, c k wrote:

> Is it possible to log all sql statements submitted to database server in
> a table in that database it self?

It's possible to cobble together something to appoximate that without too
much trouble if you're running V8.3. You can use the CSV log format to
make the logs show up in a tabular fashion:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/runtime-config-logging.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-LOGGING-CSVLOG

And then you can change log_statement (on that same page) to "all". The
main tricky part is that you need to account for log rotation and such
with whatever approach you take; you're on your own to figure out when the
server is finished with a log such that you can import it, or to write
something that imports more often. It's possible to write something to
use a "tail -f" type of approach that imports after every line is read,
but that's harder.

BTW: I'm dropping the admin list from my reply here because I'm not
subscribed to that one at the moment. It's bad form to cross-post to
multiple lists here. Pick the one you think you're more likely to get a
response on first, and only if you don't get anything useful back after a
wait should you submit your question to a second list.