Re: [HACKERS] [ADMIN] shared_buffers and shmmax

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] [ADMIN] shared_buffers and shmmax
Date: 2008-08-12 19:43:44
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>> There's already some changes needed in this area needed to execute the
>> full GUC cleanup/wizard plan that's being worked on. The pg_settings view
>> really should show the value both as the user input it and as it's stored
>> internally for cases like these, which lowers the confusion here a bit
>> even without going so far as converting everything to bytes.
>
> Is this a TODO?

I don't think you need yet another TODO for every detail, the existing
TODO "Add external tool to auto-tune some postgresql.conf parameters" has
to squash a bunch of issues in this area. This particular issue Greg
raised will already be improved significantly if executing the larger
project plan at http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/GUCS_Overhaul

This week Robert Treat and I have been doing a lot of work on "Problem #1"
there, "Most people have no idea how to set [GUCs]" which I know some
people wanted to see a more formal document for before mucking with any of
the code. I'll have something to announce there shortly.