Re: Re: [HACKERS] How embarrassing: optimization of a one-shot query doesn't work

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [HACKERS] How embarrassing: optimization of a one-shot query doesn't work
Date: 2008-04-02 00:05:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-jdbc

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008, Guillaume Smet wrote:

> A good answer is probably to plan optional JDBC benchmarks in the
> benchfarm design - not all people want to run Java on their boxes but
> we have servers of our own to do so.

The original pgbench was actually based on an older test named JDBCbench.
That code is kind of old and buggy at this point. But with some care and
cleanup it's possible to benchmark not only relative Java performance with
it, but you can compare it with pgbench running the same queries on the
same tables to see how much overhead going through Java is adding.

Original code at http://mmmysql.sourceforge.net/performance/ , there's
also some improved versions at
http://developer.mimer.com/features/feature_16.htm

I'm not sure if all of those changes are net positive for PostgreSQL
though, they weren't last time I played with this.