Re: Re: [HACKERS] How embarrassing: optimization of a one-shot query doesn't work

From: "Guillaume Smet" <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Stephen Frost" <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [HACKERS] How embarrassing: optimization of a one-shot query doesn't work
Date: 2008-04-01 06:52:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-jdbc

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 8:06 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Yeah, the lack of any formal testing of the extended-Query protocol
> is a real problem. I'm not sure of a good fix, but it bears some
> thinking about. Not only do we not have an automated way to notice
> if we broke functionality, but we don't really notice for either
> extended or basic protocol if we hurt performance.

I just posted something to -hackers about the availability of boxes
for QA purposes. It doesn't solve the problem by itself though.

A good answer is probably to plan optional JDBC benchmarks in the
benchfarm design - not all people want to run Java on their boxes but
we have servers of our own to do so. Andrew?

--
Guillaume