Re: Reindex does not finish 8.2.6

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Clodoaldo <clodoaldo(dot)pinto(dot)neto(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL - General ML <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Reindex does not finish 8.2.6
Date: 2008-03-13 16:32:42
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008, Clodoaldo wrote:

> I recently had a crash during a bulk insert when i updated to the
> 2.6.24.3-12.fc8 kernel. I rebooted and Postgresql did its thing to
> recover and everything was working. I made the previous kernel,
> 2.6.23.15-137.fc8, the default in grub.conf and rebooted.

Have you considered running a Linux distribution that's a bit more stable
and production oriented than Fedora 8 on this system? I trust the Fedora
kernel to keep data intact about as much as I trust MySQL, and 2.6.24 is
waaay more bleeding edge than I'd consider using right now for anything
beyond a disposable test environment. I'm not running anything later than
2.6.20 right now and even that I barely trust after six months of pounding
on it.

I run CentOS on devel machines that can't justify a paid license and where
the production system is RedHat Enterprise. I was just forced to use
Fedora 8 the other day and was very dissapointed that Fedora remains as
buggy as ever. It's the 6th Linux/BSD variant installed on this hardware,
the first where I had to pass kernel options just to boot the install CD,
and the first where X didn't work after install (the mouse is lost).
Solaris 10 gave me less problems on this machine.

I know this is kind of off-topic for the question you're asking, but you
wouldn't even have to ask it if the underlying platform wasn't
problematic.