Re: Need for PostgreSQL demand?

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Need for PostgreSQL demand?
Date: 2007-10-31 15:29:47
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007, Gabriele Bartolini wrote:

> The scary thing is that there is almost a 5% of skilled people using
> PostgreSQL, but less than 1% demand by companies or employers in
> general.

The main thing this is saying is that people who have positions involving
PostgreSQL to fill aren't advertisting them on joinvision; they show 9
active right now. Since I've never heard of that site before, and they're
tiny (they list 2663 tech jobs right now, dice.com has 95,817), I wouldn't
draw too much of a conclusion beyond that from their data. Not a big
enough sample size.

However, a larger search on Dice suggests similar percentages. Dice shows
249 jobs that mention PostgreSQL, while 2245 mention MySQL and 20617
mention Oracle. If you cut those numbers up, again PostgreSQL jobs do
seem to be around 1% of the total DB hiring market.

Having been through a job search in this area myself recently, I can say
it takes a certain amount of faith (or, in my case, technical fascism) to
consider a career working with Postgres given how the relatively low
number of open positions out there.