Re: Getting to 8.3 beta1

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Getting to 8.3 beta1
Date: 2007-09-29 05:02:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007, Tom Lane wrote:

> Also, I spent a dreary two or three hours this afternoon examining the
> CVS commit logs since 8.3 branched...I tried to post that info to
> pgsql-docs but it broke the list's message size limits (even gzipped,
> it's about 90K).

I just dumped a copy of Tom's file on my personal page and posted a much
slimmed down version that's missing the names of the files touched onto
the wiki at http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/8.3_Changelog (with
a pointer to the full text in case anyone needs to dig back into the
details to figure out what a commit touched).

There was already an outline for building the release notes into at
http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/8.3release

What I was thinking might be a useful way for multiple people to hack away
at this problem is to start fleshing out the standard release note
one-line summaries onto the one page, then delete the relevant commits
from the other. When the changelog page is empty, then everything is
documented.

I didn't actually start doing this though as I didn't want to dump any
more time into a process that may not actually be used.