Re: Getting to 8.3 beta1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Getting to 8.3 beta1
Date: 2007-09-28 03:29:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
>> * Draft release notes --- can't really ship a beta without these,
>> else beta testers won't know what to test. Traditionally this has
>> taken a fair amount of time, but I wonder whether we couldn't use
>> http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/WhatsNew83
>> for at least the first cut.

> I see no problem here. However the list looks to miss some 8.3
> features (for example JIS2004 support). Also it lacks mentioning the
> imcompatibilty with earilier version or removed features.

Anyone want to add those points to the wiki page?

Also, I spent a dreary two or three hours this afternoon examining the
CVS commit logs since 8.3 branched. After cutting out docs-only
commits, issues that were also back-patched (and hence are release-noted
already), bug fixes to new-in-8.3 code, etc, there were still nearly 300
messages that seem interesting for release-note purposes. We've been
busy.

I tried to post that info to pgsql-docs but it broke the list's message
size limits (even gzipped, it's about 90K). I'd be happy to send it
off-list to anyone who is interested in trying to distill some
preliminary release notes.