Re: 8.0 press release

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.0 press release
Date: 2004-11-12 23:40:40
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

Josh,

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Oleg,
>
>> press release will be released on behalf of PGDG ? So, any contacts
>> will be considered sort of official ? There so many unclear questions,
>> so I tried to avoid them - publish well established regional addresses.
>> btw, what do you mean "press contact" ? I don't remember you asked me
>> for contact.
>
> When we sent out the 7.4 release, you said that you didn't know any Russian
> Tech reporters, didn't have anyone to send it to, and didn't translate the
> release.

this is very different when you ask for *translation* or PR-ing !
I tried to separate essence of document from translating. I have nothing
against translating somebody our document and I'll help him.

> Nick, on the other hand, does know some reporters, wants to send it out, and
> is already translating the release.

Again, this is very different - let him send our (PGDG) press release to
president Putin, to Mars, etc, who is against :)

>> I always have my contact (for decades) in my signature,
>> for example. We have well known postgresql resources in Russia and
>> I never heard Nickolay's company. Do we bless his company to be
>> our (PGDG) contact ? I'm against casual companies to be my representative
>> in my country !
>
> Oleg, "companies" are not PostgreSQL community contacts. Individual people
> are.

Josh, that's what I want to hear ! Nickolay proposed to put his *company*
as contact place, that's what I'm against, nothing against Nickolay as
contact person.

> The purpose of the Regional Contact is:
> 1) to collect a list of press contacts in that language and send the release
> to them;
> 2) to answer questions from press in that language;
> 3) to answer questions from the public, via webmaster(at)postgresql(dot)org and
> otherwise, in their language.

Hmm, we have already Viktor Vislobokov - translator of PG documentation,
PG FAQ, and author of PG community server. You should know him for years.
And it's my opninion the best place for contact is his site !
We could write there information about contact person, phone, etc...
This is community project, at least ! I don't like connect any companies
for no reason. This is true and for my company, in spite of it actually
contributes to pg.

> Nobody is getting paid to do this.

This is quite unnecessary, I didn't touch that :)

Regards,
Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83