Re: Inadequate hosting for www.postgresql.org?

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Inadequate hosting for www.postgresql.org?
Date: 2004-10-31 21:22:41
Lists: pgsql-www

Marc,

I think main problem is available memory, not cpu.
Do you have single-server setup for www.postgresql.org ?
I see from headers
zen:~/downloads$>curl -I http://www.postgresql.org/
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 21:13:50 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.31 (Unix) PHP/4.3.9
Last-Modified: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 21:00:07 GMT

Do you have persistent connection from php to database ?
What about cacheing of dynamic pages ?

Also, I recommend webperf.org to see how fast selected page is loaded
http://www.webperf.org/breakdown.html?URL=www.postgresql.org
Connect DNS FirstByte End Size(Bytes) URL Status
0.033 0.071 0.383 1.073 21429 http://www.postgresql.org 200
0.412 0.412 1.161 1.270 4447 http://www.postgresql.org/images/banner-left.jpg 200
0.532 0.532 1.152 1.254 2929 http://www.postgresql.org/images/banner-right.jpg 200
0.650 0.650 1.143 1.146 929 http://www.postgresql.org/postgresql.css 200
0.768 0.793 1.207 1.418 8616 http://ads.postgresql.org/display_image.php?lvl=sponsor 200
0.905 0.905 1.156 1.277 7465 http://ads.postgresql.org/display_image.php?lvl=free 200

Oleg
On Sun, 31 Oct 2004, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> I just email'd Alexey to test after making some changes (moving the whole VM
> to a faster server) and reporting much better response times ...
>
> On Sun, 31 Oct 2004, Alexey Borzov wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>> That's why mirrors are pulled from http://www.postgresql.org, nor are they
>>> pulled using what I'd guess you are using ( wget? ) below, but using rsync
>>> ... hasn't been for years now ...
>>>
>>> In fact, over the next little while, http://www.postgresql.org will
>>> actually be pointing to an RR DNS entry, and not even the 'base server'
>>> ... I've just gotta sit down and update the DNS generation scripts for
>>> this ...
>>
>> Uh, seems I was unclear about what I was doing.
>>
>> I understand of course that the site is mirrored via rsync, but consider
>> the following: the site which resides in CVS is just a few PHP scripts, to
>> have something to rsync you first need to *generate* the static pages. And
>> here comes the problem: page generation is outrageously slow.
>>
>> In current version special scripts are used to generate static pages, but
>> these are terrible hacks, f.e. you have to make the same change to design
>> both in the dynamic page and the mirroring script. But they maybe run in
>> acceptable time, I don't know, ask Dave.
>>
>> For the next version I just wrote a generic mirroring script behaving like
>> wget but taking into account some specific needs (like i18n). The plus is
>> that you don't need to change this script *at all* if you add pages or even
>> completely redesign the site.
>>
>> But now it looks as if generation of full static website will take several
>> hours. And no, this has nothing to do with network latency, the mirror
>> generation script was run locally.
>>
>> Marc, page generation times of 3+ seconds are only acceptable if you do
>> some extremely complex database queries in them, think reports. This is
>> definitely *not* the case with the code of postgresql.org, my experience
>> tells me that modern hardware can happily churn 5-10 of such pages *per
>> second*. Thus: either hardware is completely inadequate or the servers are
>> overloaded.
>>

> ----
> Marc G. Fournier Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
> Email: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org Yahoo!: yscrappy ICQ: 7615664

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Regards,
Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83