postgresql recovery after pg_resetxlog

From: Changqing Zhou <czhou(at)cs(dot)umn(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: postgresql recovery after pg_resetxlog
Date: 2005-09-22 22:00:54
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

I run postgresql 7.4 on cygwin.

After my database refused to start (after a crash), I executed
pg_resetxlog and tried to restart the database:

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -d 5 -D /usr/local/pgsql/place

After I issued this command, the database has been trying to recover
itself, which is nice. The problem is that it has been recovering for
almost 10 hours now, and it is still trying to go through all the PIDs.

Can anybody tell me: is there a log file that tells me how many more PIDs
need to be processed? I am just concerned how long this is going to take.
I have a full back up of the data.

The runtime log is something like:

DEBUG: reaping dead processes
DEBUG: child process (PID 5504) exited with exit code 0
DEBUG: proc_exit(0)
DEBUG: shmem_exit(0)
DEBUG: exit(0)
DEBUG: reaping dead processes
DEBUG: child process (PID 4652) exited with exit code 0
DEBUG: proc_exit(0)
DEBUG: shmem_exit(0)
DEBUG: exit(0)
DEBUG: reaping dead processes
DEBUG: child process (PID 6044) exited with exit code 0

Thanks,

Changqing Zhou
University of Minnesota