MySQL vs PostgreSQL.

From: Antti Haapala <antti(dot)haapala(at)iki(dot)fi>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: MySQL vs PostgreSQL.
Date: 2002-10-11 13:20:22
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-jdbc

Check out:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/MySQL-PostgreSQL_features.html

MySQL AB compares MySQL with PostgreSQL.

Quoted from one page
> Because we couldn't get vacuum() to work reliable with PostgreSQL 7.1.1,
> we haven't been able to generate a --fast version of the benchmarks yet
> (where we would have done a vacuum() at critical places in the benchmark
> to get better performance for PostgreSQL). We will do a new run of the
> benchmarks as soon as the PostgreSQL developers can point out what we
> have done wrong or have fixed vacuum() so that it works again.

and from another.

> Drawbacks with PostgreSQL compared to MySQL Server:
>
> VACUUM makes PostgreSQL hard to use in a 24/7 environment.

They also state that they have more sophisticated ALTER TABLE...

Only usable feature in their ALTER TABLE that doesn't (yet) exist in
PostgreSQL was changing column order (ok, the order by in table creation
could be nice), and that's still almost purely cosmetic. Anyway, I could
have used that command yesterday. Could this be added to pgsql.

MySQL supports data compression between front and back ends. This could be
easily implemented, or is it already supported?

I think all the other statements were misleading in the sense, that they
compared their newest product with PostgreSQL 7.1.1.

There's also following line:

> PostgreSQL currently offers the following advantages over MySQL Server:

After which there's only one empty line.

> Note that because we know the MySQL road map, we have included in the
> following table the version when MySQL Server should support this
> feature. Unfortunately we couldn't do this for
> previous comparisons, because we don't know the PostgreSQL roadmap.

They could be provided one... ;-)

> Upgrading MySQL Server is painless. When you are upgrading MySQL Server,
> you don't need to dump/restore your data, as you have to do with most
> PostgreSQL upgrades.

Ok... this is true, but not so hard - yesterday I installed 7.3b2 onto my
linux box.

Of course PostgreSQL isn't yet as fast as it could be. ;)

--
Antti Haapala