Re: Null values in indexes

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dann Corbit <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <dblasby(at)refractions(dot)net>, <chodgson(at)refractions(dot)net>, <pramsey(at)refractions(dot)net>, <jeff(at)refractions(dot)net>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)stack(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Null values in indexes
Date: 2002-05-30 10:13:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Glad to hear GiST in 7.2 isn't broken :-)
We miss the topic, what was the problem ?
Do we need to fix GiST code for 7.3 ?

proposal for null-safe GiST interface is available
http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=1028327
and discussion
http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=1025848

Regards,
Oleg
On Wed, 29 May 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> >> Urgh ... that means GiST indexing is actually broken, because GiST
> >> currently handles multicolumns but not nulls.
>
> Actually, it appears that 7.2 GiST does handle NULLs in columns after
> the first one, which I think is enough to avoid the problem Jan
> mentioned. The boolean column pg_am.amindexnulls is not really
> sufficient to describe this behavior accurately. Looking at current
> uses it seems correct to leave it set FALSE for GiST.
>
> In short: false alarm; the 7.2 code is okay as-is, at least on this
> particular point.
>
> regards, tom lane

Regards,
Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83