Re: postgresql under Windows is slow

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Andy Ruhl <acruhl(at)sdf(dot)lonestar(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgresql under Windows is slow
Date: 2002-01-31 16:33:28
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Andy Ruhl wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>
> > anybody has an experience how is stable postgresql under Windows system ?
> > I tried postgresq 7.1 under Cygwin, Windows 98 and was dissapointed
> > by very bad performance. Are there something I could tune ?
> > I got 250 sel/sec on simple select from table with 500 rows !
> > Under Linux I have 2500 sel/sec.
>
> What are your plans for postgresql on Windows? Just by the nature of the
> OS, I'd never expect too much performance from a Cygwin app, especially
> one like postgresql. Do you plan on running it on 98 in a production
> manner?

even worse, we have to port our application to Windows and it should
run under W95..XP on different hardware (PII ...). It'll run in
single-user environment (thank goodness). Database will have about
20-30 K rows.

> My own experience is that postgresql runs quite a bit slower on WinMe than
> my NetBSD box (same hardware), but I don't consider that to be a problem.

Did you make some special tuning ? btw, what's about locale support ?

> Andy
>
> acruhl(at)sdf(dot)lonestar(dot)org

Regards,
Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83