Re: [HACKERS] Indent

From: Peter Eisentraut <e99re41(at)DoCS(dot)UU(dot)SE>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bernard Frankpitt <frankpit(at)pop(dot)dn(dot)net>, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Indent
Date: 1999-11-11 15:37:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > ObFlameBait: Personally I think we should switch over to standard
> > 8-column tabs, but Bruce is apparently still using some medieval editor
> > in which physical tab widths dictate logical indent levels :-(
>
> Vadim is also in agreement on this. Not many editors can handle
> cases where tab size is different from indent size. Emacs obviously
> can, and Tom has enjoyed pointing out. :-)
>
> I am willing to re-open the discussion if we people would prefer
> something else.

Trying to redefine a tab to be 4 spaces is asking for trouble. How about
making pgindent replace 8 spaces with a tab and 4 spaces with, well, 4
spaces. This is how emacs handles bsd indent style if you don't change the
tab sizes. And all other editors should be fine with this.

Personally, I'm always in favour of using no tabs at all, because of this
very problem, and just because they annoy me. But I tend to be alone with
that position.

--
Peter Eisentraut Sernanders vaeg 10:115
peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net 75262 Uppsala