Re: [pgsql-jdbc] dollar-quoted CREATE FUNCTION statement

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Michael Paesold <mpaesold(at)gmx(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-jdbc] dollar-quoted CREATE FUNCTION statement
Date: 2006-10-03 22:01:27
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006, Michael Paesold wrote:

> While at it, don't you think that we should handle SQL comments in
> parseQuery? For example when loading a schema from a file using JDBC, there
> might be comments in it that will break the current code. Does the JDBC spec
> say anything about that matter?

I haven't looked at either dollar quote patch, but will hopefully get to
that and other JDBC items later this week. Not parsing comments, both --
and /* */ is a complaint we here as often if not if not with more
frequency than dollar quoting. (Apparently there's a Hibernate option
that puts things in comments.) So, yes that would be a good thing to look
at.

Another parsing problem that we'll have with the 8.2 release is the
standard_conforming_strings configuration variable. I would appreciate
anyone taking a look at that and the issues that it will create, not just
for query parsing, but also for escaping in the V2 path and
DatabaseMetaData methods.

Kris Jurka