Re: JDBC support for CALL / PERFORM

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Guy Rouillier <guyr(at)masergy(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: JDBC support for CALL / PERFORM
Date: 2006-02-13 23:02:42
Lists: pgsql-interfaces pgsql-jdbc

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006, Guy Rouillier wrote:

> I have some Java code that I'm trying to convert from Oracle to PG.
> This code uses the JDBC batch functionality to submit batches of stored
> procedures invocations using the "call" syntax. I implemented the same
> stored functions in PG, having them return void. I converted the batch
> statements to use "select" with these stored functions. Even though the
> stored functions return void, the select is still producing a result
> set, and JDBC does not allow results with batches.
>
> I'd like to take a crack at adding CALL (for Oracle and general JDBC
> compatibility) and/or PERFORM (for PL/SQL compatibility) to the JDBC
> driver. My approach would be to simply substitute SELECT, then discard
> the result set upon completion.

You shouldn't need to do anything other than discard the results instead
of erroring for CallableStatement batches. You shouldn't do any messing
with the SQL and CALL or PERFORM. This should be handled by the standard
{call } syntax.

Also JDBC messages should go to the jdbc list, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org(dot)

Kris Jurka