JDBC support for CALL / PERFORM

From: "Guy Rouillier" <guyr(at)masergy(dot)com>
To: "PostgreSQL Interfaces" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: JDBC support for CALL / PERFORM
Date: 2006-02-13 22:11:47
Lists: pgsql-interfaces pgsql-jdbc

I have some Java code that I'm trying to convert from Oracle to PG.
This code uses the JDBC batch functionality to submit batches of stored
procedures invocations using the "call" syntax. I implemented the same
stored functions in PG, having them return void. I converted the batch
statements to use "select" with these stored functions. Even though the
stored functions return void, the select is still producing a result
set, and JDBC does not allow results with batches.

I'd like to take a crack at adding CALL (for Oracle and general JDBC
compatibility) and/or PERFORM (for PL/SQL compatibility) to the JDBC
driver. My approach would be to simply substitute SELECT, then discard
the result set upon completion.

Is this approach feasible? Is this change acceptable?

--
Guy Rouillier