Re: Connection Port?

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Chris Helm <chelm(at)nsidc(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Connection Port?
Date: 2004-09-29 01:42:54
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Chris Helm wrote:

> Im trying to use the pgsql-jdbc driver to establish a connection to my
> database with dbvisualer and am having trouble. I believe the problem is with
> port, ive tried 80, 8080, and 5432 (the default) but it still is not
> connecting.

Why do you believe it is the port number? You haven't given us any error
message to try and convince us of that. My best blind guess at your
problem is that you have not enabled the tcpip_socket parameter in the
postgresql.conf file. Prior to the 8.0 release the database does not
listen on a tcpip socket by default, but instead makes itself available
over unix sockets (which Java cannot use).

Kris Jurka