Re: Connection Port?

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Connection Port?
Date: 2004-09-29 02:29:47
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Kris Jurka wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Chris Helm wrote:
>>Im trying to use the pgsql-jdbc driver to establish a connection to my
>>database with dbvisualer and am having trouble. I believe the problem is with
>>port, ive tried 80, 8080, and 5432 (the default) but it still is not
>>connecting.
>
> Why do you believe it is the port number? You haven't given us any error
> message to try and convince us of that. My best blind guess at your
> problem is that you have not enabled the tcpip_socket parameter in the
> postgresql.conf file. Prior to the 8.0 release the database does not
> listen on a tcpip socket by default, but instead makes itself available
> over unix sockets (which Java cannot use).

and, furthermore, the default pg_hba.conf (in the source distribution,
at least) does not allow any sort of authentication via tcp. You need
to add the appropriate line(s) such as...

host all all 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 md5

(which will allow any IP address to authenticate as any user on any
database via md5 password encryption... there are many other choices and
combinations possible, see $PGDATA/pg_hba.conf and the PostgreSQL
documentation for more information on authentication).