Re: Cursor returned from procedure ignores setFetchSize() on

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: "Brian G(dot) Huber" <brianghuber(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cursor returned from procedure ignores setFetchSize() on
Date: 2004-06-08 15:56:05
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Brian G. Huber wrote:

> I need to return large result sets and therefore need a cursor with a small
> fetch size (to avoid caching the entire query at once). However, it appears
> that when a cursor is returned from a callable statement setFetchSize is
> ignored.
>
> Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? Any comments greatly
> appreciated. Thanks

Yes, currently refcursor based ResultSets fetch all rows at once. I would
say that this is a missing feature rather than a bug, but in any case it's
something the driver can't do right now. I'll put this on my todo list,
but it's not going at the top.

I was under the impression that refcursor returning functions would fade
with the advent of easier set returning functions. Have you considered
using them instead? The advantage of returning refcursor seems to me that
you don't need to create a pseudo type for the return value, or deal with
specifying record types in the query. Are there other advantages I'm
missing?

Kris Jurka