Re: CLDC implementation of the pgsql driver.

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: "James Abbott (Hotmail)" <jabbott44(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CLDC implementation of the pgsql driver.
Date: 2004-05-05 19:33:40
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Wed, 5 May 2004, James Abbott (Hotmail) wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I'm desperate for a CLDC compatible JDBC for postgresql.
>
> The only CLDC JDBC I can find is the Mimer midjdbc2: http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=cache:JX_F-IniRA0J:developers.mimer.com/features/feature_24.htm+mimer+sql+midp+jdbc+driver&hl=en
> Unfortunately, a single processor license of Mimer SQL costs USD$3995!

CLDC does not in fact define a JDBC API. If you take a closer look at the
Mimer javadoc you can see that it does not do things like implement
java.sql.ResultSet or any other kind of standard API. What they have done
is just named some objects the same as standard JDBC ones so that you can
write programs by importing their package instead of java.sql.* and
pretending it is JDBC.

JSR 169 appears to try to standardize JDBC access for CDC, but CDC
appears to be a level above CLDC. I don't know anything about the J2ME
technology stack and how these are all related or how one would
compile for a CLDC target, but I can say I don't know of any existing
projects to support such a platform.

Kris Jurka