Re: "out of memory" error

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Rachel McConnell <rachel(at)enginegreen(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "out of memory" error
Date: 2004-05-02 22:52:55
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Rachel McConnell wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a Java web application using Hibernate to connect to a PostgreSQL
> backend. I am seeing the below stack trace during processing of a set
> of data consisting of around 1000 objects; for a 200 object set I don't
> see the exception.
>
> I believe the salient point is the Out Of Memory bit - marked below by
> *****'s
> The fact that this exception occurs during a call to
> org.postgresql.util.PSQLException.parseServerError() seems disturbing too.

This is a server error message (which is why the stracktrace starts at
parseServerError, although perhaps it shouldn't). This means the
postgresql server ran out of memory, but you haven't provided any
information as to why that is. You should check the server error log for
more information. The key thing to check would be the actual query being
run. Is it using a bad plan query plan? What other activity is going on
at this time? How much memory do you have?

Kris Jurka