Parenthesis in Queries

From: "Oudenhoven, Timothy L" <Timothy(dot)L(dot)Oudenhoven(at)uwsp(dot)edu>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Parenthesis in Queries
Date: 2004-05-02 20:15:12
Lists: pgsql-general

Is there a way to turn off the need to use parenthesis in queries for table names etc. I have seen in some documentation examples that parenthesis are not used in the queries. In my install of postgre 7.4 I get an error when I do not use them.

Example with parenthesis which works in my build
select * from portal."User"

where I would like to use
select * from portal.User

Thanks